Thursday, April 17, 2008

New old toys!



What people spend their money on frivolously has a lot to say about them, I think. So, what does it mean when I can't help but buy nostalgic old toys and picture books when I rummage through garage sales, antique shops or flea markets? Well, maybe the fact that I shop at these places tells a little about my character and spendthrift ways. Ever since college, I have been a fan of thrift stores. Still have an old leather belt that I bought nearly 15 years ago that is yet my favorite (though it has widened a few notches in the past couple years). When I first came to Japan, I collected traditional Japanese things. Now that I've been here a while, I crave the nostalgia of home, and have decorated my home with retro toys and dishes. That last sentence might say it all. I can't decide which side of the Pacific to call my "home!"

What do you collect or spend your money on foolishly, feverishly?

2 comments:

MOM said...

Dear Michelle,
I left some comments on the last entry, but somehow I don't think they showed up ??? I just commented that I think "Newbies" might be an interesting name for Freshmen. That's what we call our new volunteers at the Mansion.
What people collect is really an interesting subject. I just finished the Opray "Home" magazine..different than the regular one, and it was on collecting. Really people collect anything you can imagine, and I suppose sometimes it's just because people start to always give you that item.
I suppose my collection centers around my teacups..partial because they are "Shelly", but mostly because they are beautiful and rare, and I think a nice thing to leave behind for you.
I'm glad that certain things can remind you of home, yet still beautify your home..wherever that is. Keep thinking of us, as we do you all often. Love Ya, MOM

mgmyway said...

My collections, and my need for "seasonal decorating" definitely comes from my mother!