Sunday, April 13, 2008

Guess where I spent spring break?



I wait for people to ask me how my spring break was. "Paradise!" I answer. My daughter, Lucy, and I (sorry Daddy!) spent 18 days in Kona, Hawaii in March. Before, I had no sincere desire to visit Hawaii, imagining it to be an endless tour trap. I was pleasantly, shockingly surprised at how wrong I was, and realize why so many Japanese and Americans flock there. Beautiful, comfortable, and slow paced....what else can you ask from a vacation. And, must I mention that we had the most wonderful hosts: my parents. Everyone I have told has expressed their jealousy in hearing that my father was taking a 6-month part-time job on the big island of Hawaii. Boogie Boarding, snorkeling, parasailing, sea kayaking, watching hot lava flow into the ocean..I don't think they have much left undone! And, during our stay, we tried our best to fit as much as we could in too. I only wish Japanese would admire my tan! By far, the highlight for me was snorkeling. I am not a great swimmer, but seeing the amazing colors fish and corals, I can see why so many people want to go deeper and see more by scuba diving. The island was an eyeful of bright, warm colors. Now, too, I can see why you would want to dress the part in flowered shirts and leis. Maybe I should give credit where it's due, because the most uplifting part of the whole trip was downtime with my parents and my brother's precious family. I look forward to our next family trip!

1 comment:

MOM said...

Dear Michelle,
Interesting but I think it is almost 100% that all our guest enjoyed the snorkeling part most !! I have done it about 10 different times and plan to do it once more before we leave...taking Dad along again !! We did our parasailing while Bob and Cathy were here. We ended up going togethere which was fun as you could share your thoughts as you floated over the beautiful harbor watching dolphins jump.
As we prepare to leave we also think of the wonderful things we have seen and done, but the best part of all was having our family there to enjoy it !!Love, MOM