Saturday, May 24, 2008

Souvenirs


We have been talking about traveling in some of my university classes this week. Inevitably, students always ask me about my own experiences, "What is the most beautiful place you have ever been?"..."What country do you most want to visit and why"...or "What was your most memorable trip?" These stories and memories could take weeks to tell! I have a wonderful curio box that keeps some of my travel trinkets, including these blocks and crumbs of painted concrete.

They are pieces of the Berlin Wall which I helped chisel from the historic wall during one of my most memorable trips. The fall of 1989 I studied in Copenhagen, Denmark, and spent an incredible 5 months studying there and venturing around Europe. (More about this later!)

It wasn't student questions that actually made me dig this pile of concrete out of my curio box. It was a television show a few weeks ago that showed a similar piece of the Berlin Wall (a bit bigger, and still in one piece), being auctioned for ¥40,000 ($400). It made me feel privileged that I had witnessed first hand this amazing turning point in history, and brought back load of memories. Now, I've got a well of memories to fill blog posts for a few weeks!

No comments: