Saturday, May 3, 2008

CAN YOU FLY?


Odd question? Well, I like to ask it when talking about dreams. Do you fly in your dreams? Yes? How? I mean, do you do superman style YOKOTOBI, or Mary Poppins TACHITOBI? I am more of a Mary Poppins, minus the parasol. I don't dream of flying much anymore, but when I did, I always took off from the same spot, wobbly standing on the corner of the backyard fence of my childhood home on Elaine Drive. I would climb up to the corner of the fence, and then when I was ready to fly, all I had to do was hold my arms straight down by my sides, then flap my hands a bit. Just a few flaps would be enough to levitate me a few inches into the air, and then just by leaning my body in the direction I wanted to go, I could float anywhere, flapping a bit more when I wanted to go higher, or relaxing my stiff posture to descend back down. I can't remember why I would fly, usually just to see the world from a different perspective, or to watch everyone else unsuspectedly, I think.

I just realized that our cool adventure in Hawaii this past March, parasailing, was a near realization of my dreamy flights. I had expected it to be a bit scary, but actually it was quite relaxing and dreamy in itself. The lift off the boat was so gentle, like someone giving you a push on a swing that keeps going up, up, up. Now, I want to go back and do it again, this time with my eyes closed, and pretend that I am on the fence corner again, and that I am 30 years younger again!

P.S. Just had to go and check out the dream analysis websites. There were lots of interpretations of what flying in your dreams means. Escape? Fear? Confidence? Having control of your situation? Having super power? Ok, so what does it mean if I don't fly in my dreams these days? Optimistic me will say that I must be more content in my now grounded self. Sure!

No comments: