Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Who would you invite to dinner?


I love the text that I use for my university English classes. This week, the students have to choose 12 people from the past or present who they would want to invite to a dinner party. Why these people? What kind of party would it be? What might happen there? Students inevitably ask me who I would want to invite, so I am going to brainstorm my answers right now.

If I could have a dinner party, I would invite:
1. Joseph Campbell - Anthropologist whose reflections and retelling of myths I adore!
2. Bono - Lead singer of U2 and die hard humanitarian
3. Cleopatra - To see if her beauty and charm still work today
4. Aimee Mann - Singer songwriter whose words make my soul dance!
5. Audrey Hepburn - To see if HER beauty and charm still work today
6. Kevin Spacey - I adore him on screen, but want to watch and listen to him up close
7. Jesus- To see if HIS beauty and charm still work today
8. Mohammed - HIM too
9. Buddha- HIM too
10. Confucious - HIM too
11. George Stephanopoulos - news magician - who could keep these people talking
12. My daughter and husband - So we can experience this party together!

The party would have to be a week long, however, because I would want ample time to talk to all of them, and to watch them interact with eachother. What do you think?

1 comment:

hauself said...

1,2,4,7,8,9.10 - i totally agree!

(just got your comment on my site and found your site...i look forward to reading it all...from the start of course)

welcome to the blogosphere