Sunday, October 14, 2007

Pieces of peace in the city?


I have a book of daily reflections that I read once in a while for contemplation. Yesterday's reading contended that it was impossible to find peace in a city, that the rush and noise are barriers too overbearing to block out. I beg to differ. So, let me brainstorm for you some of my sources of peace these days.
My daughter's laughter, heard from a distance or blurted out amidst her late-night dreams.. . .The escape of a good book.. . .Smiling nodding heads in a classroom.. . . Good news that reminds me that it isn't as bad as we like to assume.. . . Using gifts I have received or bought for myself and remembering the person attached to it or the special place I was when I got it.. . . Praise. . . .Spontaneous kisses.. . . Being asked for advice.. . .Overhearing someone taking positively about something I believe in, with a feeling that somehow my presence or thoughts are being felt by them.. . .Being with any part of my extended family.. . .Sleeping children.. . .Older couples holding hands.. . .Being at a party where everyone is having fun and suddenly realizing how much time has already past.. . .Introducing people I care about to eachother.. . .Finding a perfect gift or incredible bargain.. . .Seeing good people find success.

As my mother once told me when we had talked about what God looked like, if you want to see the face of God, or to see pure peace, you have to find the most beautiful part of every person, hold them close to your heart, and if you then put all of these beautiful pieces together like a jigsaw puzzle, you would see pure peace. I will keep looking!

No comments: